I choose as a background some silk I eco dyed with petals, leaves and a little rust.
I liked the soft pinks from the roses and the dark deep browns and purples from the rust.
I also like to ‘anchor’ my embroidery onto 3mm natural felt as a neutral base - it is also a dream to embroider into. I made a fabric collage on the silk with Victorian cream flowers, a little strip of Edwardian lace and some small script cotton print.
I ‘grew’ extra elements from the lace flowers with stem stitch and couching.
A few seed beads, lots of French knots and more stitched tall flowers to make a wild meadow. I added some Victorian black netting to link the dark and the light areas.
. . . and so the two old lace flowers have a new wild home.
The finished embroidery is stitched to a deep 20cm x 20cm grey canvas.